Monday, December 12, 2011

A History of Granny Turning 8

A History of Granny turning 8

There was a tiny granny once. Oh no,
She wasn’t yet a granny, she would grow
Into a lady, mommy, then her son
Would marry a fine woman, and for fun
Make babies, not the least of whom were two,
The only girls so far for Granny (true),
And she and Grandpa said, they are the BEST
Granddaughters in our Californian nest
And even on the East Coast, USA
Where cousin boys and uncles, aunts all stay.

December 12th the girls were born ‘03,
In Mission Viejo, to their parents’ glee,
Admired by big brother Yoav, later
By brothers Avishai, Adin. They’d cater
To the brother-crew who like all boys
Loved roller coasters, rocket ships and noise.
The girls preferred nice dresses, hairstyles, books,
Wrote poems, plays, and kept their paints in nooks
Under the stairs, a secret hideaway
Where they could make-believe and girl-things play.

Today’s their birthday, 8th, hard to believe,
A great day for the twins, Ada and Eve;
(Or Eve and Ada, many aren’t quite sure…
They are quite different but share an allure).
I wonder how their friends will cheer and sing
At school, and if their Dad will ring
The doorbell, saying “I’ve come home with presents!”
(I hope it’s a white nanny goat or pheasants
That wake those thumpy neighbors up at six,
Or maybe a magician with some tricks!)

The story of my birthday.
I was eight
And woke for school but couldn’t go. Too late!
I’d caught the measles! Great-Gran Ada said
I had to stay at home and lie in bed!
Great-Grandpa Joe said, “Now you must lie still!”
And Dr. Fry said, “Oh she’s rather ill!”
I cried a bit because they drew the drapes,
I couldn’t read, the day passed darkly. Shapes
Loomed up at me, a dragon, then a bear
But they were just the wardrobe and a chair.

My Mum came in with eggs and milk and soup
And brushed my hair into an achey loop,
But worst of all was that I had a party
And truly I had no wish to be hearty!
My little sister Susan was aged two,
And not allowed to catch my Measels flu.
So after school my friends came to the door
And I could hear them on the lower floor
Say, “Where is Linda? What… no party, NO!”
They handed over presents then would go
Back up the garden path and shut the gate;
I’m sure their parents said, “You couldn’t wait?”
“No, here’s some birthday cake her Mummy gave!
She’s locked up with the Measels in her cave!”

The funny thing was upstairs in the dark
My room was happy, like a Noah’s Ark,
With toys and toast and Tibbles, my grey cat
Who purred and made me feel better. That
Was what I loved that day, with presents piled
Upon my eiderdown. My parents smiled
Because they saw I really didn’t need
Big parties, candles, noise: I was quite freed
From what most kids miss, and Great-Grandpa came
And made up stories with a funny name,
About Georgina at the circus, who,
Had great adventures and worked in a zoo;
He told more stories every single night
Until I was allowed to see the light
And read the books my friends brought that great day
When I turned 8. That’s why I always say
8 is my favorite number, did you know?
And do you have a special number? though
Each birthday’s special and if you count 4 years,
(For 12’s your date), you’ll be Bat Mitzvah, cheers!
You’ll be young ladies then, but Grandpa, I,
Will love you always, and the time will fly.

So… Happy Birthday, Eve and Ada dear!
Enjoy each day and night and EVERY YEAR!

XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
And one each for luck:X+X

Granny Linda
12.12.11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home